Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Acid Rain Speeder Mk. II 88th Sand Division Pilot Review


After hesitating for months and months I finally got Acid Rain Speeder MK. II by Oritoy and it is well worth it. This is a high end collectible so it doesn't come cheap. The Acid Rain line comes is in 1:18 scale so it can be mixed with G.I. Joes and other figures of that scale. This set doesn't come with weapons for the driver/pilot, but since I have a few G.I. Joe weapons, it's fine. For this review I'll focus on the pilot. 

Disclaimer:
The set comes in a white unpainted styrofoam which I have painted to be used for diorama purposes. Also, weapons used are from G.I. Joe figures.  

Articulation:
The main reason for its sculpt lacking beauty is functionality. This figure has tons of articulation, and damn, does it have tight joints. That's a problem when it comes to wrists and ankles. Sometimes I think I might break the wrist joints that help in tilting the hands, but it is a very sturdy figure so I doubt they'll brake. Also standing straight can be a little difficult. Maybe the legs on mine are slightly uneven. And lastly if you take off the vest there's more articulation. 






Aesthetics:
The figure's form isn't the most aesthetically pleasing, but it makes up for it details and paint application. The helmet is removable as well as the vest. I underestimated this figure's potential for emotive display, and found it to be my favorite thing about it. Yeah, he can hold weapons, and pilots a bad ass transforming military vehicle, but seeing him holding a letter, photo, or newspaper has more visual impact for me. The MK. II set comes with a paper sheet that you can cut out detailed letters, newspapers, envelopes (stamps detail), and pictures. It's absolutely amazing! The pictures and letters that seem handwritten can be folded and stored inside the envelopes once folded right (tip: use little elmers glue to secure the envelope flaps). This adds a level of aesthetic and display options that I've yet to come across in any figure I've owned or seen. I actually enjoyed posing him reading letters and feeling homesick more than piloting the mech with the barrels ready to blow shit up.   





Extra


No comments:

Post a Comment